What is a Ride Along?
A Ride Along is when you come to the station for a period of time to observe how our station operates, and to ride on emergency equipment while they are responding to calls.
What is Required to Participate on a Ride Along?
A Ride Along is a important step in our Application Process, but is also available to any citizens that meet the requirements below.
- If you are interested in joining the department, our recruiter will send you the required forms and schedule you for your Ride Along after your Information Session. To get your application process started, please fill out the inquiry form found on this page or reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are not interested in applying but would still like to participate in a Ride Along, contact just send an email email@example.com and our Recruiter will send you a link to get scheduled!
- You MUST complete the Ride Along Request Form (sent by our Recruiter) and have it approved prior to performing the Ride Along. We ask that you complete the form at least 2 days in advance of your requested Ride Along day, to allow for the proper authorizations and planning. If you are under 18 years old, the form must also be signed by your parent or legal guardian.
- You must begin the Ride Along no later than 8:00 p.m.
- You must adhere to the following dress code: Full Length dark pants or jeans without tears; Sturdy and supportive close-toed shoes or boots with less than a one inch heel; Shirt with sleeves (no inappropriate graphics, etc).
- No weapons of any kind, cameras, or video recording devices
What is Required During a Ride Along?
- When you arrive for a Ride Along, you must report to the Volunteer Officer in Charge, or a pre-designated member.
- For safety reasons, you must always follow the direction and instruction of BVFD personnel while on calls or in the station.
- When on an emergency incident, you are strictly an observer. You may not speak to a patient or participate in their care in any way. After the call, you may ask BVFD personnel questions about what you observed.
- Patient Confidentiality must be maintained. Any information regarding a patient is strictly confidential and must not be discussed with anyone after the Ride Along experience.
- When riding in any apparatus, the wearing of the vehicle seat belt in mandatory.
- Tobacco usage is not permitted while riding, or anywhere inside the station.
What Else do I need to Know?
- Parking—please use the designated striped parking spaces to the rear of the building. If the engine bays are not open, you will need to enter the station from the front door.
- Some Ride Along periods can conclude without any emergency incidents. If so, you may wish to schedule a second ride along.
The Burtonsville Volunteer Fire Department reserves the right to terminate any Ride Along due to extreme weather, unusual call load, non-compliance with professional conduct or dress, or other unforeseen events.